TFS Online Support?

Topics: Build Server Setup, Build Template, Continuous Integration, Development Environment Setup, PowerShell Cmdlets
Sep 19, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Hello there,

thank you for your great project you share with the community.

I just wanted to know if also TFS Online is supported.

Best regards from Germany
Kai Gutzeit
Developer
Sep 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Edited Sep 19, 2014 at 1:24 PM
Hi Kai,

Basically the answer is yes. You should be able to use custom build templates with custom activities also with VS Online.
But you can't use it with a hosted build controller
Read more about the restrictions with a hosted build controller here:
http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/get-started/hosted-build-controller-vs.aspx

The Template makes use of PowerShell scripts and (as far as I know) thats not possible with the hosted build controller.
You have to create an on premise build controller and you will have the same possibilities you have with a full tfs onpremise (according to the build stuff of course).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ee330987

Have you concrete plans? We are glad to assist you to get the stuff up and running on VS Online as well.

@Wael: Maybe that's a reason against using PowerShell instead fo activities.

Greetings Marc
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Hi Kai,

The Custom Build Template and PowerShell Cmdlets will work with VS Online and CRM Online even if you are using the hosted build controller.

This includes all the standard functionality provided you store all your references in source control and follow the setup steps.

There is one exclusion to that:

One of the options the TFS Build Template provides is to deploy a CRM Deployment Package using the XRM Tooling PowerShell Cmdlets provided with the CRM SDK 2013 Update 1. This requires the PowerShell module to be registered on the Build Server using high privileges before it can be used. This might not work in the hosted build controller and you might be better off using your own build server (on-premise or cloud) and hooking it up to your TFS online instance if you want to use that scenario.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to post any other questions or raise any issues/suggestions on the codeplex or write a review once you give it a try.
Marked as answer by waelhamze on 10/1/2014 at 3:10 PM
Sep 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Thanks for the helpful replies to my question. I am actually trying to implement TFS for Dynamics CRM Projects with the development team at a customer.

I want to implement a complete Application Lifecycle with the tool xRM CI Framework.

Has somebody already tried the scenario to separate the build controller from the TFS Online Instance and still use all the other features (Source Control etc.) from the TFS Online?

I will try to implement the scenario by the end of the week and give feedback soon.

Best regards
Kai
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Hi Kai,

I have tried using the Hosted Build Controller for some features and I have tested all features using the on-premise TFS. TFS Online with an on-premise build controller is definitely a supported Architecture.

Only thing to be careful is deploy all dependencies on the Build Server.

Looking forward to see how this will work out for you. Any issues let us know.

Regards

Wael